Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Learner Activities

Learning is so complex and it is important to think about differentiating your instruction when teaching.  When differentiating there are so many things to consider:  how will I group my students?  How can I keep them engaged?  What activities should I focus on?

When thinking of learner activities for my curriculum web, there are a variety of goals I want to accomplish.
1. Keep the students interested and engaged.
2. Relate to my students.
3. Use real world scenarios.

The internet has such an extensive list of engaging activities for teaching my students probability.  On my curriculum web I want to include small, basic tasks as well as some project-based learning.  Students need to realize the importance that math has in the world and how it relates to them.  

Some links that I have found that might be helpful are:

The spinner game (to relate to my carnival activity I will be doing): Spinners
Making decisions:Stick or Switch
Looking at weather: The Weather Channel

Some of these sites will help my learners understand the concept of probability through real-life situations.  By seeing the information in context, it will allow them to grasp a deeper understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment