Thursday, March 5, 2009

Webquests

What is the value of webquests in education?

Until the presentation tonight I did not understand the difference between a curriculum web and a webquest. Little did I know a webquest is simply a feature under the umbrella of a curriculum web.

All webquests need to contain seven different elements in order to be complete:
1. Introduction - sets up the problem and contains an essential question
2. Task - what is to be done
3. Process - step by step guide that breaks up the task
4. Evaluation - a rubric of the assignment
5. Credits - copyrights and acknowledgements
6. Conclusion
7. Teaching Guide - resource and information for fellow teachers

Webquests can be very effective and valuable in education. Teachers can make webquests involving activities for students to complete, projects, clips, and videos. This is a great way to keep students engaged in learning and helps to differentiate activities for them as well. Students can work at their own pace and feel a sense of ownership and responsibility for their work.

I plan on using my webquest with my students and allow them to explore the possibilities of the internet. It will be a great way to get them excited about their learning.

1 comment:

  1. Great job explaining the essentials of Webquests. I totally agree with you in that an activity that involves the use of the Internet is a great way of keeping students engaged. Like I always say, we have to teach using today's medium, namely the Internet.

    ReplyDelete