A wiki is website that allows any user to add and edit the content on that webpage. This is different from a blog because it allows for multiple authors to make entries onto this site. Wikipedia is just one example of a wiki. It is an online encyclopedia where anyone can go and add, change, or edit information on the online encyclopedia.
There are several ways that teachers can incoporate wikis into their classroom:
1. collective glossary
2. a group story
3. group problem solving
4 and more.....
I think wikis are great for the classroom in the sense that they allow students to work with each other, edit each others work, and comment. Student can be creative and contribute to their classmate's work.
After reading about wikis, I am actually considering creating a collaborative glossary and help wiki where students can add and edit definitions of different math terms and explain how to solve certain problems. It is a great way to have a more student-based learning approach to teaching.
Helpful Math Links
Friday, April 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree, wikis are quite versatile formats for websites. I like the idea that they are participatory and dynamic in nature. I hope that Jason & my presentation was informative. Let me now if you have any luck with a class wiki.
ReplyDelete