Sunday, April 12, 2009

Using Multimedia (Ch. 9)

The internet is a completely different world and language. Multimedia is just taken for granted since we see it everyday on the web. There are so many different formats for pictures and graphics on the web, including .gif and .jpeg. Different programs are used to create images and videos that we see on the internet, Photoshop being the most popular.

I am so happy we do not have to use HTML for our websites. After reading this chapter I have realized that it requires a lot of understanding of the "computer talk" that is out there. It seems so complicated and intricate.

My website is going to have graphics and videos, however, they are not going to be original. I will be using others that I have found on the internet. It is important to have pictures and videos, maybe even sound, on your webpage in order to keep the visitors occupied. Those visiting your site will not be excited and interested if it was just full of words and no colors or images.
I want my webquest to be as appealing as possible and I think images and animations are the way to go. Middle school students need to constantly be entertained and even though they are using the internet you still need to keep there attention.

I hope I can make my website creative and a fun page for all of my students to visit.

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it beautiful that we do not have to learn all the computer jargon in order to use these programs. Imagine if we had to write an HTML program everytime we wanted to post something.
    I totally agree with you in that we have to make maximum use of multimedia in order to reach our Middle school kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more that our students need constant stimulation in order to stay engaged. It is very hard to accomplish this in our 1950's style classroom (with a chalkboard and possibly...if we're lucky...an overhead projector). But, our curriculum webs enable us to connect with our students in a way that is common to their lives...with pictures, sounds and video that provide an interactive experience for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good thoughts alexandra. i'm also glad that we do not need to learn how to use html and the videos and multimedia i use will not be original either. i agree that it's important to keep the visitors occupied; i just hope that entertainment doesn't replace learning as a whole...that tends to happen sometimes when people have little substance to offer. that statement is more for myself than for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very happy that we don't have to use html for our websites. With the amount of time we devote to lesson planning, grading etc, it's nice that they have web creators like weebly.com to help us take out the frustrating part of creating a website.
    By the way, from looking at your website in class last week, I think your curriculum web will be awesome!!

    ReplyDelete