Thursday, April 16, 2009

What are SmartBoards?

SmartBoard is a type of interactive White Board that is used in schools. SmartBoard is actually a trademarked name that is now just a common name used to describe the interactive white board. A SmartBoard works using a computer and some type of projector. Once the device is connected, it allows the projector that you are using to become interactive, in the form of a touch screen. This is a great device to allow teachers to work collaboratively and interactively with their students.

My school does not yet have SmartBoards, or if they do they have very little and are hard to obtain. I have always thought about trying to get a SmartBoard for my classroom so that my students could participate in active learning. It is such a great tool to use for your students work work with the information that is given and change and manipulate what is on the screen. It is also shown that retention rates are higher in students that use SmartBoard in the classroom.

It is my goal to try and get approved to have a SmartBoard for my classroom, for next year. Maybe (cross your fingers) it will happen.

(Probably not)

4 comments:

  1. I have always been interested in using smartboard but school does not have it either. They talked about it all the time in our FA sessions but I think I learned more about it from your entry then I did over the summer. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A suggestion? I have heard that the Wii has functionalities similar to that of the Smartboard. In fact, a colleague mentioned that a YouTube video exists that explains how to: (1) install a Wii into the classroom and (2) utilize the Wii during various types of lessons.

    This would be quite an out-of-pocket expense, but I share your view that a Smartboard would GREATLY enhance our students' learning....

    ReplyDelete
  3. My school has some smart boards but not enough projectors so I run into a similar problem. There are soooo many possibilities with math and smart boards, but because a lot of us don't have access to them, I feel we are missing out on a great way to reach out to students.
    Since I have a Wii, I might consider trying to use it for the "homemade" smartboard in my classroom next year. Does anyone know of anyone who has tried this and succeed?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should look into Donors Choose. I'm sure you can get one through there! Also, my school is looking into getting an educational grant next year (there are so many out there!) maybe you can try to get one for technology! You just need to search for grants online and do some writing. If you have a clear need, you will find someone to donate. Check it out!

    ReplyDelete